A new thing

​Normally when I sit down to do a blog post, it’s written out ahead of time, then I type it on here and publish it. This is a little different.

New year, new thing, right?

Our home was involved in a fire on Christmas Day. We lost 2 fur babies, and everything we own. It happened after dinner, and to stand there and watch your home burn down was one of the most surreal experiences I’ve ever had. My kids were crying, I was crying, people were spraying garden hoses at the house to try to help until the fire department got there….

I sat there and, of course wondered why this was happening, especially after losing our home to a flood. I didn’t think that my belief in God would survive because why would he allow this? 

Then God showed up. Through friends, coworkers, church family, and 2 entire communities of people, some of whom have never met us. They left their homes on Christmas night to bring us bedding, towels, toiletries and food. People checked on us, prayed with us and for us. People let me cry. They let me be mad and sad and confused. 

We have been provided a home for as long as we need it. We have been provided with clothing and food, over and above to the point that we are donating things to people who need it. 

Now the rebuilding begins. Now is the time where I need to be pressing in, praying. Now I need to be asking God for peace that I may never understand why this happened, but that my trust needs to be greater than my questions. 

I’m thankful my family is alive. I’m praying that each of them finds peace. I’m praying this doesn’t ruin Christmas for us moving forward! (Just being real) 

My biggest prayer is this: the community may forget the fire. They may forget us and our names. I hope they never forget the response and how they all came together. I hope they remember the goodness, kindness, selflessness 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the fire grew

Living in the waiting

Getting honest