Spreading their wings
I'll be the first to admit that I was never the mom who was super excited about the whole "empty nest" thing. I know some parents who simply could not wait to have their kids move out. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to some new adventures with my husband, but I'm also not rushing to pack my kids' bags.
i genuinely enjoy spending time with my kids. It's been an honor to be their mom, and I think we have a pretty good relationship, especially now that they are young adults. They are both in good stable relationships and I'm also enjoying forming bonds and relationships with their significant others.
As sad as it can be watching them grow up, one of the most rewarding things is watching them both step in to their callings on their lives.
My son has known since he was about 5 years old that he wanted to be a pastor. It had been prophesied over him many times. He actually started school to be a pastor when he was still in high school. On Easter he got to baptize 2 people- his girlfriend and his soon to be brother in law. We knew his girlfriend was going to be baptized, but him baptizing her was a game time decision, and my daughter's fiancee felt the call to be baptized, so we went to Little beach with my son's pastor and mentor there to watch.
My daughter has a heart for special needs children and has an entire proposal ready to present to various pastors throughout the area to help make churches more special needs friendly and welcoming. She texted me and said, "mom I'm going to change the world!" She put hours in to research and typing this up. Her heart is to make a change, and I know she will!
It makes my mama heart so proud to see both of my kids so on fire for what God is calling them to do, and so willing to be so obedient. And, it really makes my mama heart happy to see the support they have along the way. They will always have their dad and I, but God has also connected them with their own "village" to come along side of them. They each have significant others who are supportive of their gifts and callings, they have mentors and co workers who are cheering them on and helping them.
Yes, it makes me sad to see my kids grow up. I would raise them over and over again because being a mom has been one of my greatest joys in life. I'm still learning how to let go a little bit. But, I will say that the letting go has been a little bit easier as I've watched what they are stepping in to.
Comments
Post a Comment