Want Vs need

     After we moved in to our new home, I was getting my office set up. i set up a corner to be my "prayer corner"- I had my own little chair, a side table with my prayer journal, and devotionals. I wanted to set an atmosphere of peace and comfort for me to start my day. 

     I also try to be intentional when I pray and for me I like having what I'm praying for in front of me. (My brain is a superhighway and a list helps keep me on track) So, I was making my prayer list, thinking about how to pray for each member of my family as well as myself. I was writing down specific things for each of us when I felt God speaking to my heart asking, "Is this what you want from me or what you need?" 

    That stopped me in my tracks,

    I typically don't consider myself a selfish person, especially when I pray, so I really took that to hear5t. I asked God to speak to my heart and show me what  he meant and how I could work that in to my prayer life.

    He showed me that my heart was typically in the right place, but that I needed to get a little bit deeper and get to the root of some of the things I was praying for.

    For example, I can't just pray for financial provision. I need to pray that God gives me a spirit of good stewardship, and that I would be faithful with what he has given me.  I can't just pray that I would be healthy, but that I would remember that my body is a temple.. 

    I wanted the health and the provision. but what I needed was for God to work in my life and in my heart. I  needed my heart posture to me right and to tie God's word and what he wants to my prayers for myself and my family. God will give you a desire to pray for what you want, but they ALWAYS tie in to  what you need from him. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the fire grew

Living in the waiting

Getting honest