Praying with authority

     I can remember asking people to pray about situations for me for years. Issues with my husband, my kids or my job- there were friends or people at church  I would ask to pray about whatever was going in our lives that needed prayer.

    Now, I know that's what we're supposed to do, we are called to pray for one another and bear one another's burdens. But, what I wasn't telling anyone was that, being honest, my prayers over the situations were pretty pitiful. 

    Not because I wasn't praying or because I didn't want to pray. It's because I didn't think that my prayers were strong enough. Not my prayers alone, just my prayers in general. I didn't think that I had the "power" or the "access" to God that some of the other people in my life did. I kind of felt like God wasn't listening to me, but this person was a stronger Christian than I am or this person has been doing this longer than I have, so I know God will listen to them.

    I was convinced that my prayers wouldn't be answered, or even considered, unless these more powerful, more seasoned Christians took them before God. These people were better with their words, surely them praying would get God's attention.

    I spent years believing that out and out lie. I'm embarrassed to say that I fell right in to Satan's trap with this one. I believed that my access to God was limited because of an opinion I had of myself, and that I was less worthy based on the opinions I had of others.

    It took me YEARS and a few colossal mistakes to learn that I have the authority. In fact, we all have the authority. Why? Because God has given it to us! God flat out tells us to come to him with our requests, our worries, our fears. He doesn't care if you come raging around, stomping and yelling those prayers out like you are Xena the warrior princess, or if you are alone in your car and all you can find the strength to say is "God help me." 

    My prayers are no better, no worse, no more or less effective than anyone else's, despite what Satan tries to tell me. I'm God's daughter, and I have the hoor and privilege to go to my father with any issue at any time, any place and he hears me! He listens! He hears me and counts my tears, he comforts me because he loves me! He knows the days that I have the strength to come to him with my prayers, stomping and yelling, but he also knows the days when all I can mutter is "God help me" from the table on my back porch. Both prayers are just as important and precious to him because both are just as honest and authentic.

    Now, when I ask other people to pray about a situation for me, it's because I'm asking them to come along side of me in agreement over a situation and declare God's victory over it. I'm asking for extra strength and faith when I feel like mine is shaky and weary. I'm asking because God smiles when his people come together to lift one another up in prayer and love one another. I'm no longer asking because I feel that less than or not important enough. Recognizing and walking in the authority that I have had all along was a powerful turning point in realizing my true identity in Christ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the fire grew

Living in the waiting

Getting honest